The city of Charlotte, NC is known for being a commercial hub and a university city with many people who are highly educated. Popular 55+ communities in Charlotte are close to nice restaurants, medical services, a great selection of coffee shops, and beautiful local parks. You’ll be able to find a comfortable neighborhood to live in that perfectly fits your needs and lifestyle. If you’re planning on moving, reach out to the best Charlotte senior movers.
Table of Contents
What is a 55+ Community?
As it says in the name, 55 and older communities are neighborhoods, condo associations, and housing developments that are created for individuals who are at least 55 years old. They’re not the same as nursing homes or assisted living facilities, but instead are retirement communities for people that want to stay active.
The main goal of a nearby Charlotte 55+ community is to have a safe haven for seniors where they don’t have to worry about being disrupted by young families or children within the neighborhood. These developments provide a place where active seniors can enjoy themselves and spend quality time with people around their own age.
Benefits of Living in a 55+ Community
Living in the best Charlotte retirement communities, 55+ individuals can avoid the hustle and bustle of busy areas and the many distractions that come with them. They’ll have easy access to leisure activities as well as fitness centers and other convenient amenities. Many communities will hold monthly or seasonal events to keep everyone involved.
The most luxurious 55+ communities in Charlotte also remove some of the day-to-day responsibilities that come with living on your own. These destinations will often offer everything from cooking and cleaning to laundry, yard maintenance, and beyond.
If you’re looking for a place to live where you can maintain your active lifestyle, consider some of the top-rated gated retirement communities in Charlotte. These places are designed to keep seniors moving and enjoying life through various activities and amenities.
8 Best 55+ Senior Living Communities in Charlotte
1. Cresswind Charlotte | Kolter Homes – Top-Rate Active Adult Community
Conveniently located only 13 miles from downtown, Cresswind is one of the most popular 55+ communities in Charlotte. This location offers great amenities including a pool, arts, crafts, tennis courts, a fitness center, walking trails, and its own clubhouse.
View this post on Instagram
New residents can purchase a home and have a place that is entirely their own as they enjoy the lovely landscaping available around the community. A few of the top places to eat nearby include Jake’s Good Eats, Big Guy’s Pizza, Happy’s Grill, Jimmie’s Restaurant, and more.
- Address: 8913 Silver Springs Ct, Charlotte, NC 28215
- Website: https://www.kolterhomes.com/new-homes/cresswind-charlotte-north-carolina-active-adult-55-homes/
- Phone: (980) 228-9044
- Amenities: Clubhouse, fitness center, indoor pool, outdoor pool, pickleball, tennis, and bocce courts.
2. Southminster – Highly-rated Charlotte Community for 55+
Take your pick from gorgeous terraces, cottages, or apartments when deciding where to rent within the comfortable community of Southminster. This active senior development in Charlotte boasts an amazing assortment of lifestyle amenities such as a wellness center, an indoor pool, a sauna, billiards, a library, and so much more.
People living in this fantastic 55+ community have full-service dining options with flexible meal plans as well as take-out service. It also has a full-service salon, an art workshop, and even an on-site thrift store.
- Address: 8919 Park Rd, Charlotte, NC 28210
- Website: http://www.southminster.org/
- Phone: (704) 551-6800
- Amenities: Heated pool, wellness center, sauna, gym, private spa rooms, billiards room, woodworking shop, events rooms, and flexible dining plans.
3. Brightmore of South Charlotte – Great Amenities for Seniors
Right around the corner from the Ballantyne District Park, Brightmore of South Charlotte is one of the top retirement communities around town. Their location offers residents loads of convenience as cable, electricity, and water/sewer services are all included. You can rent a cozy apartment and enjoy the benefits of wireless internet, scheduled transportation, and professional landscaping.
The best amenities at Brightmore include their restaurant-style dining area, library, market, beauty salon, and barbershop. It is also a pet-friendly community with 24-hour security and concierge services.
- Address: 10225 Old Ardrey Kell Rd, Charlotte, NC 28277
- Website: https://www.brightmoreofsouthcharlotte.com/
- Phone: (704) 557-0511
- Amenities: Library, educational programs, gift shop, pet-friendly, groundskeeping, security system, housekeeping, internet, and cable.
4. Shads Landing Gracious Retirement Living – Comfortable Gated Retirement Community
Shads Landing is located about 14 miles north of downtown near top-rated destinations like the Zamariya Spa of Africa and Island Cuisine Charlotte. This reputable gated retirement community in Charlotte has a lot to offer its residents including book clubs, creative writing courses, art projects, cooking classes, and beyond.
Newcomers will be able to rent a nice apartment that perfectly fits their needs and lifestyle. The grounds include walkways around a small pond and water features.
- Address: 9131 Benfield Rd, Charlotte, NC 28269
- Website: https://seniorlivinginstyle.com/shads-landing/
- Phone: (704) 705-2180
- Amenities: Discussion groups, art classes, cooking demonstrations, writing classes, book clubs, gardening clubs, and more.
5. Carmel Place – Charlotte 55+ Retirement Neighborhood
Flowing with popular amenities and activities, Carmel Place is always considered among the top-rated Charlotte active retirement communities. It is located near the Quail Hollow Club, where visitors can play golf, and is also close to Duis Pottery and El Boutique.
The highly-ranked community features a barbershop, beauty salon, bistro area, fitness center, gardens, chapel, and much more. Their apartments can be rented with most services being fully included with each monthly payment. Residents can even enjoy three chef-prepared meals every day.
- Address: 5512 Carmel Rd, Charlotte, NC 28226
- Website: https://www.holidayseniorliving.com/senior-apartments/north-carolina/carmel-place-charlotte
- Phone: (704) 552-1800
- Amenities: Weekly housekeeping, gardens, gym, country store, chapel, billiard lounge, basic cable, full kitchens.
6. Legacy Heights Senior Living Community – Nice Apartments for Seniors
At the Legacy Heights Senior Living Community, people have quick access to a nearby shopping area that includes an Ulta, Target, and a movie theater. The amenities on-site are great as well with residents getting their own kitchenettes in each rented apartment.
As a pet-friendly 55+ community in Charlotte, their additional features include housekeeping, a beauty salon, game rooms, a bistro, and weekly happy hours. The neighborhood even has an activity studio that holds regular events where all residents can spend time getting to know each other.
- Address: 11230 Ballantyne Trace Ct, Charlotte, NC 28277
- Website: https://www.fivestarseniorliving.com/communities/nc/charlotte/legacy-heights-senior-living-community
- Phone: (704) 544-7220
- Amenities: Salon, pet-friendly, activity rooms, game rooms, physical therapy, bistro, happy hours, and kitchenettes.
7. MerryWood on Park – Charlotte Active Retirement Community
Less than 4 miles from downtown, MerryWood on Park offers some of the most convenient access to the big city. This makes it easy to enjoy many aspects of being a local 55+ community in Charlotte while still offering a private, quiet space to live in. Some of the closest things to do nearby include the local Discovery Place Nature museum and the PlantHouse home goods store.
MerryWood is an award-winning Charlotte senior adult community that has been recognized with the Spirit of Innovation Award and the Argentum Best of the Best Award. A few of the many amenities you’ll find on-site include rentable units, a bistro, spa, walking trails, a theater, library, and complimentary wi-fi.
- Address: 3600 Park Rd, Charlotte, NC 28209
- Website: https://www.seniorlifestyle.com/property/north-carolina/merrywood-on-park/
- Phone: (704) 709-5004
- Amenities: Bistro, business center, emergency services, beauty salon, barbershop, walking paths, and spa.
8. The Cypress of Charlotte – Beautiful 55+ Community in Charlotte
Unlike many other retirement communities in Charlotte, at The Cypress, residents get the benefit of owning their living spaces. This gorgeous area is close to a wide variety of fun activities including shopping, a movie theater, natural attractions, the Member’s Garden Spot, and the local Huntingtowne Farms Park.
View this post on Instagram
Amenities at The Cypress of Charlotte range from social clubs and fitness centers to educational classes and beyond. Among the many benefits of living here, the area’s lawn care and landscaping maintenance are all taken care of for you.
- Address: 3442 Cypress Club Dr, Charlotte, NC 28210
- Website: https://thecypressofcharlotte.com/
- Phone: (704) 714-5500
- Amenities: Landscaping, game rooms, social clubs, health centers, gyms, education classes, salon, library, and art studio.
Map of the Best 55+ Communities in Charlotte, NC
Discover the Best Community for You
It’s easy to find the best 55+ communities in Charlotte when you know what you want and the amenities you’re looking for. Many of these destinations offer either rentable apartments or a home you can purchase for yourself.
Need help with an upcoming transition to or from a nearby community? Get assistance from the top Charlotte moving company by hiring Make A Move today! Get in touch with our team by calling (704) 378-8588 or filling out the Request a Quote form at the top of this page to get a free moving estimate!